Thomas S. Harty
firstname.lastname@example.org | P: 267-262-5650 | F: 215-609-4338
Tom has tried more than 100 cases to verdict in state and federal courts throughout the United States. He has served as lead trial counsel in cases tried to verdict with more than $2 billion at stake. Tom regularly handles complex contract disputes, anti-competitive and unfair trade practices, business and securities fraud, shareholder litigation, complex estate and guardianship litigation, and business related terminations. He also serves as outside general counsel for several companies and is known for his practical, business-minded and straightforward approach.
Representative Litigation Matters
- In a multi-jurisdictional guardianship, represented a trustee in an undue influence and fraud trial lasting 40 days, which resulted in a $30,000,000 verdict for damages, removal of the guardian, and judgment invalidating the ward’s last will and testament.
- Recovered more than $7,000,000 in funds on behalf of a private equity and investment fund which was advanced in connection with the complex fraud.
- Represented victims of the Ponzi scheme orchestrated by Stanford International Bank against “claw back” claims asserted by the Receiver for more than $2,000,000.
- Represented the Pennsylvania Commissioner of Insurance in one of the largest actions ever instituted to force the liquidation of an insurance company.
- Defeated claims for damages totaling in excess of $25,000,000 for breach of contract, fraud, and conversion on behalf of a national transportation agency and its principal.
- Defeated claims for damages exceeding $1,000,000 for anti-competitive activities alleged by a competitor for a national retail operator of travel centers.
- Obtained a judgment in the amount of $1,321,000 for fraud on behalf of a private investment and international factor/lender.
- Recovered $3,000,000 for a breach of contract on behalf of a private equity and investment fund.
- Represented a hotel operator asserting environmental claims in recovering $7,000,000 in damages caused by a water source contaminated with legionella.
- Recovered $1,150,000 on behalf of a plaintiff on the grounds of undue influence, incompetence, and fraud in connection with the preparation of a family member’s will.
- Represented a contractor in recovering judgments totaling $835,000 against its former employees and a check cashing agency for breach of fiduciary duty and violation of the Check Cashers Regulatory Act of 1993.
- Recovered in excess of $6,000,000 in connection with a commercial loan fraud on behalf of a regional lender.
- Obtained $2,200,000 in connection with a claim filed for negligent misrepresentation and fraud on behalf of the United States Trustee.
- Represented a plaintiff in recovering $1,200,000 for breach of contract in connection with the sale of a personnel agency.
Tom has also handled complex commercial transactions, loan and factoring agreements, acquisitions, divestitures, and employment matters.
In the Community
Tom has served as a volunteer coach for youth athletic organizations for the past 25 years. In addition to coaching girls’ and boys’ basketball teams for the Amateur Athletic Union and the Catholic Youth League, he has mentored scores of students both during and after their years on the team.
In the News
Tom has been quoted in both the New York Times and the Wall Street Journal regarding the Bernard Madoff Ponzi scheme.
- New Jersey
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey
- St. Francis University, BA, magna cum laude
- Villanova University School of Law, JD, LLM, with honors
- American Bar Association
- Pennsylvania State Bar Association
- Philadelphia Bar Association
- New Jersey State Bar Association
- The Association of Trial Lawyers of America
- AV Premier
- Martindale Hubbell Super Lawyer